Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Daily Thoughts 10/23/2019


Seated Allegorical Figure of Divine Wisdom, Carlo Maratti, 1674-1677

Daily Thoughts 10/23/2019

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I finished reading The Importance of Small Decisions by Michael J. O'Brien, R. Alexander Bentley, and William A. Brock.  This book is about how to make small decisions.  The last part of the book focuses on fake news and the impact of false information.  The book describes how small decisions have big impacts, because the effects of decisions often compound over time for money and social consequences.

I also finished reading Hipster Death Rattle by Richie Narvaez.  This was an enjoyable mystery with many plot twists.  The setting in Williamsburg was enjoyable to read about.  Richie Narvaez is from Williamsburg.  I am looking forward to his coming to read from his mystery and discuss gentrification on November 14, 2019 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Mount Vernon Public Library.

I checked the displays and the gift books this morning.

I checked some of the books in the mezzanine.  I looked over some shifting of books in the main floor collection.

I discussed choosing books to be put in the mezzanine from the oversize collection.  I also spent some time looking over oversize material in the 500s and 600s.

I discussed a holiday wreathe program for December with a local artist.

I placed a hold on Cataloging The World: Paul Otlet and the Birth of the Information Age by Alex Wright.  I also checked out the book, Reinventing Knowledge From Alexandria to the Internet by Ian F. McNeely and Lisa Wolverton.

I placed an interlibrary loan on Incubating Creativity at Your Library: A Sourcebook for Connecting With Communities by Ellen Batykefer and Laura C. Damon Moore.

Web Bits



Mad About Marketing: Fun Ways To Advertise Library Programs

Fifteen Years of Google Books

What Is A Program, Anyway?

80Years Later, Alexandria Library Sit-In Arrest Charges Are Dismissed

The Internet Archive's Open Library Will Let You Sponsor A Book, Paying for it to Be Scanned

No comments: