Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Afternoon Thoughts

Good afternoon. I started reading Leviathan: The History of Whaling In America by Eric Jay Dolin, c2007, W.W. Norton. This book is both grotesque and salty at the same time. The descriptions of the American colonists watching for beached whales then cutting them up and rendering them for their oil is over the top.

There is a lot of interesting historical material. Apparently, Moby Dick, is based off the story of a whale called Mocha Dick named after the isle of Mocha off the coast of Chile. There are a lot of interesting tidbits like this throughout the book. I am almost up to the first selection of black and white pictures. If you can handle some grotesque descriptions it is interesting to read.

Three books came in for me today from interchange, two of them are graphic novels, the first is Billy Hazelnuts by Tony Millionaire, and the second is The Adventure of Tony Millionaire's Sock Monkey. I have a fond place in my heart for this cartoon because when I was a child, I had a sock monkey toy. It was one of my favorite toys along with my stuffed buffalo. My "lumpalo" as I used to call it. The third book is The Ten Cent Plague, The Great Comic Book Scare and How It Changed America by David Hajdu, Farrar Strauss Giroux, c2008.


I couldn't find a public domain picture of a Sock Monkey from the internet, so I took one from Amazon. I know, it looks like I am trying to sell something. Here it is:



Anyways while looking around the internet, I found an interesting article. Time magazines The Top 25 Blogs. This link is practically everywhere on dozens of different blogs. http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1725323_1725329,00.html .

What is interesting about this listing is that only one of them has bookish origins, Freakonomics which came from a bestselling book. I took some time to look at the different blogs to see what I saw that was common in design. Most of the blogs are three column blogs, they have a black on white background. Most use images in every single post. There are youtube videos liberally spread throughout the blogs as well. There is usually a blogroll of related sites. All of them cover popular subjects, not things like literature or crafts. I also noticed that most of them have a comments function, a share this article function.

I spent a bit today picking out poetry books for a poetry open mike tomorrow as well as choosing a few poems to read as an opener. I picked out a poem by Bob Kaufman, one of the beat poets to read as the first poem.

Today, I'm feeling a bit scattered. I have a lot of little things to do which are all over the place. I suggested several graphic novels from the February Diamond Comic Books Distributor Bestseller list earlier today to order.

2 comments:

Francis Scudellari said...

I had the graphic novel Persepolis highly recommended to me. I haven't bought it yet, but I plan to soon. Maybe I'll join that challenge yet :).

Book Calendar said...

Persepolis was made into an animated movie. There was also a sequel Persepolis II. She also wrote Chicken With Plums. I like her work, but it is quite dark. She says she can't go back to Iran because she is afraid she won't be able to leave.