Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Thoughts, Back To Work

My vacation is over. It is time for me to become inundated by books. There are piles of things for me to do. Mainly updating the law books and straightening up the reference room. A lot of it is simply being methodical.

I returned my pile of ten books which I checked out for my vacation. Sometimes, I think I read more books than many of the patrons. In a way this is part of my job. I haven't had a chance to look through what is in the new books section.

Now, I will go back to doing what I do, reading more books. There were three books waiting for me on reserve: Power Sales Words How To Write It, Say It, and Sell It With Sizzle by Vicky Oliver, Sourcebooks, Inc. c2006. This is a book on copywriting that I reserved over a month ago. Earth: The Sequel The Race to Reinvent Energy And Stop Global Warming by Fred Krupp (President of Environmental Defense Fund) and Miriam Horn. This was on the bestseller list. The last book which was waiting for me was a book which I selected from The Thin Red Line's blog, Free For All Oddballs, Geeks, and Gangstas in the Public Library by Don Borchert. This sounds like my kind of book.

I also checked Locus Magazine and the New York Times Bestseller List. Armageddon In Retrospect by Kurt Vonnegut a series of essays on war and peace is on all the bestseller lists. I requested it to be sent here. For good measure to keep my fantasy interest going, I put Harald by David Friedman on hold. I checked the Baen books publishing schedule and placed When The Tide Rises by David Drake on hold as well.

I was looking at Publishers Weekly for April 15, 2005 at the advertisements. Apparently a new star wars film opens August 15, 2008, Star Wars Clone Wars.

I looked to see what had come in during my short absence. We have a brand new copy of the McGraw Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology. There is nothing likethe look of shiny new books with pictures. Also we just received a nice bright red copy of African American National Biography edited by Henry Louis Gates, Jr. and Evelyn Brooks Higginbotham.

I read part of Free For All by Don Borchert on the train home today. There is something calming about reading on trains. You can hear the rhythm of the train moving on the tracks. The train glides in and out of the stations. You read avoiding other peoples eyes. Then the train stops. Last stop time to go. I like reading in motion.

No comments: