Saturday, April 5, 2008

Thoughts for the Day

I often think about how long it takes to receive items in interlibrary loans. I can't predict when new items will come in. They tend to come in batches.

I had an odd reference question about a lawyer today at the library. Apparently, the old trick of being both a lawyer and a priest was being played out. First, you get a law degree, then you get ordained, then if you are truly ambitious, you get registered as an auxiliary (volunteer) policeman. This allows you to do a lot of things which your average citizen cannot in the United States, not pay taxes (your law office is your church), consult your law clients as their spiritual counsel, and show your fraternity with the local police. Watch for this kind of thing carefully.

I placed a few items on hold in my attempt to read 6 graphic novels for the graphic novel challenge. The first is Billy Hazelnuts by Tony Millionaire, and the second is Castle Waiting by Linda Medley. Castle Waiting has an introduction by Jane Yolen. It is the story of what happens after Sleeping Beauty wakes up. I am looking forward to reading it.

I really like Tony Millionaire's Sock Monkey. The graphic novel won the Eisner Award in 2004.

I found something to read on the train home today. Detective Story by Imre Kertesz. Apparently, the author won the Nobel Prize for Literature. It is a very brief work, only 112 pages long. This is a good size for a train read. The book is also about the size of a small paperback, even though it is a hardcover. It should be very convenient to read.

I did a minor change to my blog. I searched google using the link search to find who was linking t my blog. I added a couple of sites to my Link Exchange in my sidebar. The first is The Singing Librarian, a rather interesting librarian blog. The other is Monday Morning Power about how to have a very positive mental attitude. The blog can be fun, funny, and uplifting to read.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

from my perspective at the check in desk, it seems I am always seeing ILL materials from far, far away libraries and I always wonder how long ago the patrons had requested the materials.

my own experience as a patron attempting to get an ILL from a neighboring county system was pending forever and finally canceled by the lending library without explanation. makes me wonder...

Book Calendar said...

I placed sock monkey on hold 4/5/2008, the hold expires on 10/2/2008. We allow over 5 months for a hold to be filled. Usually it is far shorter than that of course. Sometimes, it takes several months for requests for technical materials from colleges. Luckily, I don't do most of the ILL material.

Stella said...

I didn't realize it was so easy to get ordained. Don't you have to go to a special college for that?

Book Calendar said...

Within the USA, all 50 states theoretically authorize ministers who are ordained and authorized by their church to officiate marriages. In most states, ordination as a minister is the only requirement for a minister to be able to officiate lawful weddings. Some states require additional documentation, such as a "letter of good standing" or that the minister present his or her credential of ordination and register. One state also requires that the minister must be a US citizen, and some states specify that the minister must be at least 18 years of age (although this is probably a presumed requirement in all states, since the minister will attest to a legal document).

Your church basically has to say you are an ordained minister. There really is no requirement unless your church specifically creates requirements. Most mainline churhes require you go to a seminary for the equivalent of a masters degree. But there are also free ordination by mail outfits like the Universal Life Church which many people would call a scam. The key thing is to present a consistent ideology...