Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Comparing Computers, Ordering Job Books

Don't you just wish you could do this to your computer sometimes.



This morning because of the computer debacle last night, I am going to look at purchasing a new computer. I am going to use the comparables method I learned while I was working as a real estate appraisers assistant before I became a librarian. What I am going to do is look at three different sources of information on computers, cnet, pc magazine, and consumer reports. I am going to take down the information on three computers which I like then I am going to compare the different features to see which one I will buy. Dell created a problem when I bought it last time, the hard drive did not last very long. I am thinking about possibly getting a Gateway because I need a media computer more than I need a business computer. This is my morning project.

I looked at CNET and I looked at PC Magazine online. They both rate HP Pavilion systems and Dell computers highly. HP Pavilion seems to be the most popular and highest rated system right now.

I am looking at Consumer Reports. They have a very nice free article on the best way to buy a computer.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/computers/computer/desktop-computers/desktop-pcs-mac-computers-sub/how-to-choose/desktop-pcs-mac-computers-how-to-choose.htm

Unfortunately, the ratings on their site are not free. I am going to look at the magazine to see the ratings in print for free at the library. The June 2008 Consumer Reports Magazine has the latest ratings for computers. So, it is very up to date.

I looked through Consumer Reports. The top two rated are Gateway FX computers and HP Pavilion computers. The problem with HP Pavilion computers is that they have poor customer service. Consumer reports rates Hewlett Packard's support poorly. This leaves me with a choice between Gateway FX and Dell computers.

After looking at the Gateway website, the Gateway deal for the DX442S which includes a 19" lcd monitor looks quite good.

This morning while I was on the train, I read some more of Hot Text Web Writing That Works. This book is going to take me several days to read properly still. I am on page 286 right now, about two thirds of the way through the book. It is quite information dense.

Today, I have spent several hours looking at and ordering job books. I have $1500 to spend. The career counselor who comes on Tuesdays, brought a list of recently ordered career books from another library. The list covered new books from 2005-2008. We also talked about what she needed to help her job. She travels from branch to branch, going to different libraries in our library cooperative.

The way resource sharing works is that in the county, we are a library cooperative. Every library has its own resources and budget, however, the catalog, the interlibrary loan, and some other things are shared through a central resources building.

She told me she needed more books on jobs and interviewing for ex-offenders, women returning to the workplace, being unemployed, working from home, and nursing resume books.

I also took a look at a variety of publishers; Arco Books, Barron Books, Ten Speed Press, Career Press, and the American Management Assocation for career books.

I picked out a few graphic novels for the summer reading display for summer loan. This allows people to take out books and bring them on vacation. Summer loan allows people to take out books for two months during the summer, but they must have a copyright on or before 2005. A few of the titles were Plastic Man On The Lam by Kyle Baker, The Magic Flute illustrated and adapted by P. Craig Russell, Age of Bronze The Story of the Trojan War, and Captain America Winter Soldier.

3 comments:

Da Old Man said...

For what it's worth, I have a Dell PC and a laptop. Both have been relatively trouble-free. When I did have some minor trouble, it was pretty easy to get tech support help on the phone.

Book Calendar said...

I am still in wait and wonder mode. I'll probably decide by the end of the week.

Anonymous said...

I just love my brand new computer...