Monday, June 9, 2008

More Thoughts

My car is being repaired. I was hoping it was done today so I could do laundry and shopping easily. Drat, it will take a bit more than usual today. I really enjoyed the Museum of Comics and Cartoon Art Art Fair yesterday, it is much different than the New York Comic Con.

Anyways, I finished reading America's Hidden History by Kenneth C. Davis. It was an expose on aspects of American history which were brushed aside. I am going to write a review for it today.

I was looking at Twitter this morning. I found an interesting book title that one of the twitterers ContentContent suggested, Hot Text: Web Writing That Works by Jonathan Price and Lisa Price. I put it on hold at my library. It looks like it might be useful.

Because, I am not driving anywhere and I am not deeply motivated to clean house right now, I finished watching The Five Thousand Fingers of Dr. T written by Dr. Seuss. This is an entertaining movie because it is so strange. The sets are phantasmagorical, and the costuming is really really different. The costumes look like something out of a party colored cartoon.

The musica and singing is interesting if not a bit odd. It is all classical music, mainly piano. The ending, I hope could have been different. The little kid, Bart Collins, blows up the giant piano (this is a spoiler) and his dream ends. This is a very imaginative movie.

If you don't like surrealism, you might not like this film. If you want to see what Dr. Seuss would look like in a live action setting this gives a much better interpretation than the modern live action films of Dr. Seuss. It was written in 1953 when Dr. Seuss was still around.



This afternoon, I walked up to the library in the stifling heat. I returned a few items, then I read some magazines. I usually don't read magazines, but this time I decided to take a look. I browsed through several copies of Wired Magazine. I find Wired to be rather silly. There really was not anything of note in the magazines.

Then I sat down at the computer for a little bit and played with some social networking sites adding a few more "friends" to my Twitter network. I am finding Twitter to be both entertaining and easy to use. It is basically prepared soundbites.

I didn't find anything new to check out from my local branch library. I should probably look at the Manga a little more closely.

I couldn't stay too long, I had to take care of some minor things at home. Things like sorting some of the waste materials into the recycling bins outside and going for a short walk to the local produce market. I bought watermelon, bananas, oranges, cheese, cranberry juice, seltzer, cold cuts, cheese, and rolls.

It is very hot outside. This mitigated a little bit by a light wind. I would not call it picnic weather, it is too hot.

Right now, I just started reading In The Courts of the Crimson Kings by S.M. Stirling. It is about an alternate history, where aliens long ago terraformed mars and venus. It reminds me a little bit of John Carter of Mars or Carson of Venus. It has that old style touch. You can also detect a light touch of C.L. Moore's Northwest Smith, but not much. It feels like a homage to an earlier era in science fiction.

No comments: