Saturday, June 21, 2008

A Visit To My Local Library

A Visit To My Local Library

Here I am sitting at a reserved computer at my local library. I took a look at the kids videos and picked up the Wiggles, Scooby Doo, and Autism Is A World. Anyways that was pretty brief.

I also took a look at their manga section. They have a lot of manga for teenagers. Some of the interesting titles were Bleach, Dramacon, Fruits Basket, Full Metal Alchemist, and Prince of Tennis. They also had Blade of the Immortal in the adult section, along with Osamu Tezuka's Buddha. Buddha is actually quite interesting to read. We have it at our library. I have to do an order which combines manga and speculative fiction.

Something which we don't have a lot of are science fiction series books. I took a look at a few of them, Star Wars Sacrifice by Karen Traviss and Star Trek Klingon Empire A Burning House by Keith R.A. Decandido are two books which I am going to read. Sometimes it is fun to read a little light entertainment. It is the lone ranger, or uboats in space.

I also think I might order a few of the books here for my own library, Halo Contact Harvest by Joseph Staten and Battlestar Galactica Unity by Steven Harper.

I intend to balance out my order of speculative fiction with a few titles I had read earlier and reviewed on this site, Rainbow's End by Vernor Vinge, Ragamuffin by Tobias Buckell both of these are inexpensive paperbacks. I just learned that Ragamuffin is a Hugo nominee this year. I also think I will probably get Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow. Another person who there is some demand for is Octavia Butler. I am probably going to order Clay's Ark, Wildseed, and Patternmaster in paperback.

Tomorrow, I'll probably visit the local bookstore and see what is there. I'll probably buy a single mass market paperback. It is a Barnes and Noble and I am ambivalent about buying anything from them.

I also took a few minutes to look at the graphic novels and the computer section. But, I focused on that yesterday, so it might not be as interesting for you to hear about this. There were a few things which I thought might be useful.

I am glad that it is pretty quiet here. Much of the time it is a lot quieter than the place I work at.

This morning has been peaceful so far.

I haven't made any more adjustments for to my website layout. I would like to know if you like the changes. Anyways, my half hour at the computer is up soon and I don't want to stay here any longer.

Right now, I am enjoying reading Star Trek Klingon Empire A Burning House by Keith R.A. DeCandido. I am reading a passage with ambassador Worf from the federation. There is plenty of intrigue in this book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love our library system - not only can you check out books locally, but you can get books sent from every branch in our county - on top of that, there's the ability to have a state-wide search of all public libraries (costs fifty-cents) - and that library will send it to our library. Cool, huh.