Monday, September 29, 2008

A Day To Rest

The Sick Doctor (1892) Jehan Georges Vibert.


A Day To Rest

I am sitting here with a strong cold. I have poured various things down my throat, reddish syrupy cold medicine, red zinger tea boiled with chamomile, cranberry juice, and soon, chicken noodle soup. Most of the day has been spent lounging on my couch or flat on my back. I have even chewed a few vitamin tablets.

My head is a little fuzzy, not quite ready for writing. I hate being sick. I violently hate it. Probably more than most people. I also don't like going to doctors. This is a common trait. I probably should be resting right now, but I am not.

Being sick is the same as being in a cage. You can't go anywhere or do anything. Maybe, I just need to rest.

I have a book, Writing Begins with the Breath Embodying Your Authentic Voice by Laraine Herring in front of me. The opening line to chapter 8 is a quote. "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."-- Thomas Edison. It is so true, but what I need to do is rest not work. Maybe work at resting.

I admit, I did a few rounds to keep my blog going. Everyday, I fuel a group of people at Fuelmyblog, check my Twitter and post a short entry, check blogcatalog for threads to comment in, then I comment on a few blogs in my link exchange, and finally check on any bids on projectwonderful.

Also, each day, I take some time for reading things like libraryjournal.com, Bookselling This Week, Locus Magazine, and maybe look at the Yahoo! News section.

So, I think I will do my daily rounds and avoid doing a review, or some special commentary. It will be too much. There was nothing too exciting today. Just the usual stuff.

Here is a really interesting article on an amazing home library built by a very wealthy internet entrepreneur.
http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/16-10/ff_walker?currentPage=all

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurry up and get over it! Being sick, that is.

Book Calendar said...

I agree completely.