Monday, September 1, 2008

Good Morning, De.licio.us Bookmarks, Hellboy


Gargoyle at the British Natural History Museum

Good Morning

I am making a slight change. I am letting Entrecard go right now. I have decided to try Delicious a bookmarking site instead. I went through Bookcalendar to see what interesting links I had and created a bookmarking page for Bookcalendar. I am going to put the link where Entrecard was. http://delicious.com/BookCalendar . I also feel that the word bookmarks sounds more bookish although it doesn't exactly have to do with books.

I took some times to import some bookmarks to delicious.com from my favorites. I also went into my personal web directory on http://www.backflip.com/ and added a few more websites from there. I keep track of a lot of the sites I visit in a personal web directory.

I took a little bit of time to watch Hellboy Animated Sword of Storms. For a long time the title Hellboy bothered me. I kept on thinking this is a biblical demon and it is probably horrible and full of evil twisted demonic creatures which will warp people. Now, that I have seen the short animation, I realize Hellboy is not a demon in the biblical or occult sense.

He is an ogre or demon that might appear in a fairytale. Sword of Storms is about Hellboy fighting Japanese fairytale demons; the demon of thunder and the demon of lightning. There is absolutely no pretense at realism which makes the story much more acceptable to me to watch.
He is the good guy because he is fighting monsters that would appear in legends or fairytales. The thing that lived in the lake, the dragon that stole the maiden.

Also the character has no pretense of religion or deep philosophy. He acts like a blue collar plumber with a juvenile mind. The way he talks reminds me of the way one of the characters from Doc Savage might talk from the older pulps. This really surprised me at first. The style of the drawing is very similar to animation.

There is occultism involved, but it is the occultism of the stories of the wild hunt, the berserker, the troll under the bridge, or the trickster fox. Things that would mixed in with fairytales for children and quasi-historical events like the court of King Arthur.

It is good to know that this is not a really dark story talking about biblical demons like Spawn which I could not stand. Spawn bothered me.

A lot of teenagers ask for Hellboy and I was wondering what it was about. There are two movies on Hellboy. The title quite frankly bothered me,

No comments: