Thursday, September 4, 2008

Good Morning, Poetry, Good Afternoon, Good Evening

The Tyger Poem, William Blake

Good Morning

Sometimes the most surprising things crop up during presidential elections. I thought this article on whether or not Sarah Palil asked to censor books and fired the Wasilla, Alaska city librarian was kind of interesting. This election is turning out to be full of things which are unexpected. Sometimes, I wish it would just go away. Censorship is always a tough issue.
http://www.adn.com/politics/story/515512.html

Last night on the train, I finished reading Groundswell, Winning In A World Transformed by Social Technologies. I will be writing a review of it in a while.

I just started reading Impact, How To Get Noticed, Motivate Millions, And Make A Difference In a Noisy World by Ken McArthur. The book reads like a business guru type book. It reminds me a little bit of Napoleon Hill, however, there is a big difference. Each chapter includes goal setting exercises, self motivation exercises, and direct actions which you can take to make it more likely you will achieve your goals. This is what separates this book so far from most of the other business guru books I have read.

On a side note that has nothing to do with reading, I found an entertaining game beta. It is called Good Old Games. They are selling all the old classics upgraded so they will run on modern pcs.
They should be sending out keys on September 8, 2008. I signed up yesterday.
http://www.gog.com/en/intro


Poetry

Tides

On rip tides forgotten
We swim in the wide green ocean
Forgetting about the shore
Commenting

click, click, clickety, click
One Site, One Comment, One Click
Count the hours going by

We are looking about getting a new microphone for our poetry readings. I think I am going to read the William Blake 1757–1827 poem, The Tiger.


The Tiger

TIGER, tiger, burning bright

In the forests of the night,

What immortal hand or eye

Could frame thy fearful symmetry?


In what distant deeps or skies

Burnt the fire of thine eyes?

On what wings dare he aspire?

What the hand dare seize the fire?


And what shoulder and what art

Could twist the sinews of thy heart?

And when thy heart began to beat,

What dread hand and what dread feet?


What the hammer? what the chain?

In what furnace was thy brain?

What the anvil? What dread grasp

Dare its deadly terrors clasp?


When the stars threw down their spears,

And water'd heaven with their tears,

Did He smile His work to see?

Did He who made the lamb make thee?

Tiger, tiger, burning bright

In the forests of the night,

What immortal hand or eye

Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

Good Afternoon
There is a real sense of quiet on this blog without Entrecard. I realize that most of my vaunted traffic was ephemeral much like dandelion seeds blowing in the wind. But, there is also a sense of peace. Now, I can start building my traffic up focusing on people who are interested in books.
Speaking of blog traffic, Darren Rowse of Problogger has a book, Problogger, Secrets For Blogging Your Way To A Six Figure Income by Darren Rowse and Chris Garrett. It is a relatively short book 220 pages. I have it sitting here next to me.

I also have a little more time to get things done, I wrote two rough drafts for film flyers.

Good Evening

On the train home tonight, I read Problogger Secrets For Blogging Your Way to a Six Figure Income by Darren Rowse and Chris Garrett. It is one of the books which I ordered for the library. On page 179 of the book, they list their twitter addresses http://twitter.com/chrisgarrett and http://twitter.com/problogger.com I may comment on the book tomorrow. It was a book that was short and fairly easy to read. It is only 229 pages long.

I am trying out a new advertising card exchange, SPOTT, it looks a lot simpler than Entrecard.

2 comments:

Stella said...

Good morning, BC.

I had a funny conversation with someone about Blake. I mentioned something about a poem ("London", I think) and they said, "Wait, wasn't William Blake an artist? You must mean some other Blake." They had no idea he wrote poetry and were very excited about it.

Book Calendar said...

I rather like Blake's art. It has an almost folk sense to it.