Sunday, November 2, 2008

Good Morning


You too can cartoon!


Good Morning


I was going to watch another dvd, but it was scratched from the library. So, I ended up watching Art School Confidential written by Daniel Clowes and directed by Terry Zwigoff. There was a lot of humor in it. The film was set at Strathmore College. I rather liked the film. It reminded me of Daniel Clowes comics brought to life on the big screen. I think I like Clowes comics much better than his films. The humor was very dark.

I don't usually watch films in the morning. I am not going to go into a deep review, other than saying it had some very nice acting.

This is my 500th post. It must mean something, but I have not figured it out yet. Congratulations to me for writing endlessly, practically every single day.

I went to the mall at noon. There were not as many people as usual. Most of the stores had sales going on. It was very easy to find parking. Most of the time there is very little parking. I went to Barnes and Noble Bookstore. I spent some time looking around the store. I bought one book for myself, a paperback by R.M. Meluch, The Sagittarius Command, A Novel of the U.S.S. Merrimack.

I did not buy The 500 Essential Graphic Novels by Gene Kannenberg. However, I did spend some time looking through it for comics which we did not have in our collection. It contains 500 one page descriptions of graphic novels in full color. We have many of the selections. Some of the items which I am thinking of getting are Malcolm X: A Graphic Biography, Death The High Cost of Living, Scott Pilgrim, Planetary Vol. 1, Avengers Kree Skrull War, The Big Book of Hell, Aliens Omnibus, and Iron Man: Devil In A Bottle.

I walked around the store a bit and went to the computer books section. I am thinking that we may have to get some computer certification books, MCSE, CCNA, CCIE, and Comptia exams.
Then I walked around the mall for a while and a got a slice of pizza and a glass of water. It was not a bad afternoon. The restaurant was very empty. I remember going to the barber last week and the barber telling me that he usually had 40-50 people come in each day, and now he has 10-15 people coming in each day.

While wandering through blog land, I learned about a new title that is both intriguing and frightening. I read the review in the magazine, The Economist, for Hitler's Private Library by Timothy W. Ryman. I placed it on hold. I think it will be very interesting reading this book.

Sometimes if you watch blogs on libraries and listen carefully, you can pick up where the wind is blowing in terms of funding and financing. This is a recent article from Library Journal.
I think there is going to be a lot of funding coming available for job related books and financial literacy materials. We already have a career counselor who comes to our library. We also have lots of job books. The financial literacy part is a challenge.

The strongest value of libraries in a down economy is that most libraries have a EJIC (Education Job Information Center). This provides a lot of value to the community. We have sections for resume books, civil service test books, professional test books, county job listings, annual reports, and general job and small business books.

No comments: