Friday, November 7, 2008

Evening Thoughts, Diet Books

The original torch from the Statue of Liberty replaced in 1986. You wonder sometimes when national monuments get subtly changed how artistic meaning changes and subtly influences the concept of freedom.



It is much like the closing of the Statue of Liberty because of fear of terrorist threats immediately after September 11, 2001. The base was not reopened until August 2004. The crown is under consideration for reopening. It is still not open. There is a troubling symbolism to this.



Why I Copyfight. This is an interesting article on copyright and the way it has changed by Cory Doctorow. I very much enjoy his writing.


http://www.locusmag.com/Features/2008/11/cory-doctorow-why-i-copyfight.html


I updated my Bloggers Unite icon. This time it is Bloggers Unite for Refugees. On November 10, 2008, I am going to write a short essay on refugees like over 10,000 bloggers on the internet.http://unite.blogcatalog.com/participate/


The New Colossus



Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame


With conquering limbs astride from land to land;


Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame,

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"


by Emma Lazarus, New York City, 1883


Diet Books


I read another diet book this evening. These things are kind of infernal. I don't like the idea of following a dieting program. I keep hearing the voice of my father, "eat less and move more", "whole grains only", "no candy, no soda, no snack foods," "drink selzer instead of soda", "the center of the supermarket is full of junk", "your family has a history of diabetes", "fruit is good for you". "when are you going to take up martial arts again?", "do you have an exercise program?", "why aren't you cooking more at home, it is cheaper and healther?", or my grandmother, "you were so skinny when you were on the swim team."



I remember when I weighed the least. I was on a strict vegetarian diet and I ran five miles every single morning. I still was not light, even then. Vegetarianism is much cheaper. It probably would be good for me to cut out a lot of meat. Sigh, I wish otherwise, but I have to go back to my childhood.



It really is no longer a choice. The voice of my doctor says, "lose weight or else you are in trouble", "cut out the carbohydrates", "the weight watchers program might be good for you","start walking every day."



So here I am starting to lose weight, walking a bit every day, and starting a lightweight yoga program.

No comments: