Thursday, February 5, 2009

Daily Thoughts


Illustration to American popular song "Beautiful dreamer"by Currier and Ives (between 1856 and 1907).

Daily Thoughts



On the way home, I read How to Manage an Effective Nonprofit Organization by Michael A. Sand. I am kind of neutral about this book. It serves a specific purpose which makes it hard to review. It is a series of checklists of what you need to do to effectively run a nonprofit. The lists seem accurate and to the point, but they are not that interesting. Still, the book is very practical in a sort of this is what needs to be done kind of way. It would be a good book to check to see if you are missing any specific activity in managing an effective nonprofot organization.



This morning, I started reading Halo, The Cole Protocol by Tobias Buckell. It is on the Locus bestseller list for paperbacks. The book starts out with lots of action. On the way home, I finished about half of the novel. It is a solidly entertaining serial science fiction novel. Not spectacular.



This is clearly written for those people who play the video game. Most of the references are to things which happen in the video game. The author clearly tries to follow the video games storyline. Tobias Buckell has clearly played the game. It is a good first series novel set in a serial setting like Star Trek. I think he still has to work out what makes people excited about the formula in the video game.



I am sure that he will write more books in the Halo universe. This book is clearly selling well. I think a second one will be better. I expect him to write another one. I will read it. This is light quick escapism. It is fluff which takes your mind off everyday worries.




I also went on Wikimedia to look for images of Abraham Lincoln which I could print out for my display. Wikimedia is one of my favorite sources for public domain images. I found a picture of Abraham Lincoln reading with his son Tad and a painting of Abraham Lincoln in the Emancipation Proclamation so far. The lady who is donating the book, The Cosgrove Report a mystery about the assassination of Abraham Lincoln is coming at 3:00 p.m. this afternoon. I also have selected several books on Abrahm Lincoln to display. It is the bicentennial of Abraham Lincoln's birthday on February 12. It is also the bicentennial of Darwin's birthday as well.



I spoke to the lady about the display and summarized J.G.A. O'Toole's biography on a single sheet of paper and put it in the display. She wants to do another display about animals in the library. I have to think about how this might be done.

I also spent a bit of time weeding the reference books. I have to weed and shift the 100s, 200s, and 300 dewey number sections in reference right now. It was a surprise project.



Six Hours Past Thursday by Jack Payne came in for me to read through interlibrary loan. I am looking forward to reading the book.

No comments: