Saturday, February 7, 2009

Daily Thoughts

Wisdom, mural by Robert Lewis Reid. Second Floor, North Corridor. Library of Congress Thomas Jefferson Building, Washington, D.C., Caption underneath reads "KNOWLEDGE COMES BVT WISDOM LINGERS".


Daily Thoughts

Most of this morning was spent weeding the reference books as well as changing the location of some titles to the storage stacks to create room. We are relocating the periodicals desk to a new location.

Right now, our library is moving around furniture. The cybercorner got moved to a new location and is current;y under renovation. They are running new wiring through the floor. The computers are being updated. Because the cyerbcorner is closed right now, it is very quiet. Some of our stacks are going to be moved around as well.

I spent some time figuring out where to put the dictionary stand and the atlas stand and talked to the director about rearranging the furniture in the Job Information Center. I am really not quite sure how to rearrange the furniture in the Job Information Center.

I also filed some looseleafs for the New York Code of Rules and Regulations. I find filing to be relaxing sometimes. It is a very basic kind of activity.

Today was the African American Read In Chain in the community room from 1:00-4:00 p.m.. People read poetry, read from plays, and gave speeches in honor of African American History Month. They had a nice spread with salad, lasagna, cookies, and water. I had my lunch while listening to someone recite poetry.

I finished reading Jack Payne's Six Hours Past Thursday. The best part of the story in this book was the unrelenting antiheroism of the main character which eventually does him in.

2 comments:

ibpurpledragon said...

Working in the college library back in 65, moving stacks was painful but I found more interesting books that I would have never sought out. Funny how manual labor broadened my horizons.

Book Calendar said...

Thanks for the compliment. My first job in a library was shekving books in a community college.