Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Daily Thoughts 7/14/2009 ( Collection Development )

Jack Vance, the science fiction writer, with a banjo and a kazoo, photograph taken by Hayford Peirce



Daily Thoughts 7/14/2009

Today was an excellent day. I finished reading The Angels Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It is an excellent literary novel and a nice train read. I will be writing a review shortly.

I read my usual Publishers Weekly, Booklist, and New York Times Book Review. I am going through and selecting new titles to order. I have been taken off of doing the law collection and am now being asked to focus solely on collection development and management in the main collection. We are discussing the idea of building special collections and doing more bookmarks, flyers, and other promotional material.

We are working on designing a new label for the graphic novels. Pretty soon we will be merchandising the graphic novels collection as well. I am looking forward to seeing this done.

I am going to be going through the collection tomorrow and checking for books to be mended and those which need covers replaced. We have a man from Ghana who is coming to pick up some of our deaccessioned books to be sent abroad to Ghana. They badly need books. I found this to be very interesting.

I read some more of Say Everything on the way home. It already has a bit of interesting history of the internet, the author is writing about Justin Hall and Wired magazine as part of the founding of the blogging phenomenon.

I also did some floor exercises while watching popeye. It was a nice break from thinking a lot about books.

No comments: