Friday, October 9, 2009

Daily Thoughts 10/9/2009

Copperplate engraving of Augustus the Younger, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg in his library, 1650


Daily Thoughts 10/9/2009

I received some complementary copies of large print books this morning from Center Point Large Print. They are regularly sending me catalogs. I also have been going through the purchase alerts this morning for titles which we should have.

I also received an email newsletter subscription from http://www.thebookseller.com/ this morning which comes from Kirkus.

I did a little bit more adjusting for the signage this morning. I still have to figure out a few signs to order. I am not that happy with Demco, Gaylord, and Highsmith which are the main library suppliers for furniture and signage for libraries. I also took some time to clean up my desk and organize paperwork.

On the train home, I read some more of Confessions of A Radical Industrialist by Ray C. Anderson. He is writing about the concept of resource efficiency in the business setting. He describes how it is possible to increase revenue by reducing waste. Another word for this is lean manufacturing. He also describes how it is more important to first reduce waste then to recycle. Then he describes how it is more important to first introduce energy efficiency to cut costs then to introduce renewables. It is a process of reducing costs then instituting renewable processes. He claims that Anheuser Busch recycles 99.1% of their waste in their factories turning it into animal feed, ethanol and other products.

I picked up a copy of the Max Fleischer superman cartoosn to watch at the library. There are a few episodes which I still have not seen on the dvd which I borrowed.

No comments: