Sunday, June 26, 2011

Daily Thoughts 6/26/2011 (Alien Invasion)

Strange Worlds No. 3, Avon Publications


Daily Thoughts 6/26/2011


I am not sure why my post on June 25, 2011 did not go in.  It was a very solid day.  This weekend, I relaxed a bit and read Alien Invasion: How To Defend Earth by Travis S. Taylor and Bob Boan.  It is entertaining, if a bit paranoid.  It describes what might happen if aliens invade and how we might defend ourselves.  The book feels like science fiction packaged as nonfiction, much like the many books on ufos are like.  It is published by Baen books which mainly publishes military science fiction.  I read the book as an ebook.  If you would like to know how to defend the homeworld, this book is it.  I think it was better than The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks.  The book had a serious tone.

Yesterday, I finished reading Tolstoy and the Purple Chair.  It is very much a story about a woman who reads a book a day to help face her sisters death.  The author was using reading as bibliotherapy.  It was an enjoyable read.

I was at the bookstore today and bought a paperback copy of the book Ark by Stephen Baxter.  Stephen Baxter is a hard science fiction writer.

No comments: