Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Daily Thoughts 11/14/2012

Andrew Carnegie, 1835-1919 3/4 lgth., seated at desk, left profile; reading. 
Date Created/Published: c1913. 


Daily Thoughts 11/14/2012

I spent some time this morning checking the Twitter and Facebook pages for the library.  I also spent a little bit of time looking at databases.

On the way to work, I read some more of Mindshift.  Daniel J. Siegel is writing about mirror neurons which are neurons which help us recognize empathy and reciprocal actions like smiling.  He also discusses the concept of integration in the sense of integrating the left and right side of the brain, the brain and body so people have more body awareness, and having a balanced sense of memory.  I like this idea.

I also started reading The Start Up of You by Reid Hoffman.  He is arguing that you need a more entrepreneurial mindset to succeed these days in your career, there is no set career path for many people.  Reid Hoffman was one of the founders of Linkedin.

This morning, I checked the displays and gift books.  I also read the latest Publishers Weekly.

This afternoon we have the computer lab open between 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.  I spent some time reading through back issues of Shelf Awareness for their reviews.  I also did some checking on the missing items list.

I ordered more fiction titles today including a couple of books by Jorge Amado who is an excellent Brazilian fiction writer.

On the way home, I did some of the exercises in the back of the book from True North.  I also read some more of The Startup of You.  One of the arguments presented in this book is that the world is no longer that stable and there is no guarantee of steady longer term jobs.  People need to have a more adaptable career strategy than in the past.  Reid Hoffman even states that books like True North and What Color Is Your Parachute are no longer flexible enough.  In his view people need to be more ready to learn new skills, have backup plans, and be ready to change direction quickly.

Web Bits

Over a Third of E-readers are Used Just Once Before Being Set Aside
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2012/11/11/over-a-third-of-ereaders-are-used-just-once-before-being-set-aside/#.UKOjbIeCm3G
My thought is that people prefer more multi-function devices like tablets over ebooks.

No comments: