Friday, November 30, 2012

Daily Thoughts 11/30/2012

Okumura Masanobu,  Itinerant Vendor of shikishi and tanzaku (paper and books) 1720–1730
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Okumura_Masanobu_-_Itinerant_Vendor_of_shikishi_and_tanzaku_(paper_and_books).jpg


Daily Thoughts 11/30/2012

This morning on the train, I read some more of On Politics V.2.  The author is describing different ideas on imperialism and empires.  Alan Ryan describes the difference between colonization and conquest.  There is also a bit on the byproducts of empire, Aristotle's idea of "natural slavery", and the concept of "scientific racism".  There is also quite a bit on how nations try to justify wiping out native populations and extract resources.

This morning, I checked the Facebook and the Twitter for the library.  I did some more weeding in the 900s this morning.  I am pulling from a list which was generated.  I also checked the gift books and the displays.
The Mount Vernon Public Library Friends of the Library Book and Bake Sale is today. I am looking forward to getting a cup of coffee, a cookie, and looking at books.

I went to the Friends of the Library Book Sale and had a cup of coffee and a piece of cake.  I also bought a book, The Collected Sandman Covers 1989-1997 With a new story and commentary by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean.  It is a beautiful book.

I spent a little time thinking about weeding and ordering material.  How it is organized is important.

On the way home, I read some more of On Politics, V.2.  Alan Ryan is writing about different forms of totalitarianism: Stalinism, nazism, and fascism.  Totalitarianism is the traditional enemy of liberal democracy.

Web Bits

Publishers Brace for Authors to Reclaim Book Rights in 2013
http://paidcontent.org/2012/11/27/publishers-brace-for-authors-to-reclaim-book-rights-in-2013/

No comments: