Friday, November 23, 2012

Daily Thoughts 11/23/2012


A Child's Garden of Verses, 1905, Jessie Wilcox Smith

Daily Thoughts 11/23/2012

This morning, I read a little bit more of On Politics V.2 by Alan Ryan.  I have started reading about Hobbes. I also checked the Twitter and Facebook accounts for the library, checked the gifts, and checked the displays.  There are a lot more new books coming in.  Quite a few of them are library oriented.  I checked out Management Basics for Information Professionals, Second Edition by G. Edward Evans and Patricia Layzell Ward.  Hopefully, it should have something to think about.  I also checked out A Curators Quest Building the Collection of Painting and Sculpture of the Museum of Modern Art, 1967-1988, by William Rubin which is a beautiful oversize illustrated book.

I have a copy of Publishers Weekly to read.  I spent a little bit of time looking at a report on which books had high circulation during the last year for fiction.  Some of the authors surprised me: Lisa See, Heinrich Boll, Claude McKay, Haruki Marukami, Luis Alberto Urrea, and Philippa Gregory.  James Patterson was hands down the most popular author.  In mystery, Janet Evanovich and Sue Grafton did very well.  For African American fiction, not including urban fiction, we had a lot of popular authors like Eric Jerome Dickey, Rochelle Alers, Zane, and Terry McMillan.  Paperback romance authors like Mary Balogh, Robyn Carr, Maureen Child, Cynthia Eden, Shannon McKenna, Mary Jo Putney, and Sherryl Woods did very well.

On the way home, I read some more of On Politics.  Right now, I am reading about Rousseau.  I have not read The Social Contract, but it is one of the classics which people discuss a lot.  It is impossible for me to read everything.

Web Bits

Picturing Books/ Tor.com
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/07/picturing-books

No comments: