Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Daily Thoughts 11/21/2012


Une ville flottante ; Les Forceurs de blocus ;Aventures de trois Russes et de trois Anglais, 1872, Jules Verne

Daily Thoughts 11/21/2012

This morning, I read some of  Help the Helper Building A Culture of Extreme Teamwork by Kevin Pritchard and John Eliot, Ph.D.  The perspective of this book is one about teamwork from a view of both business and sports. Kevin Pritchard is the general manager for the Indiana Pacers and John Eliot, Ph.D. is a consultant for professional athletes and coaches. There is quite a bit on performance in both basketball and football. One of the subjects I read about was the concept of a "god culture" where there is one person who represents all of the hope for a company or team like Peyton Manning of the Colts, or Steve Jobs of Apple.

The book, On Politics V.2 A History of Political Thought: Hobbes to the Present by Alan Ryan came in for me to read.  I rather liked the first volume finding it very readable.

This morning, I checked the Facebook and Twitter accounts for the library, looked over the displays, and checked the gift books.  There was a nice copy of The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham in the gift books which will be added.

I am looking at a book which was left on my desk called The Book Group Book Edited by Ellen Slezak.

The computer lab is open from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. today.  I spent some time looking at online reviews in the afternoon and helped some people print pictures of artwork today.

One of my colleagues did a display of postcards on Mount Vernon, New York in the reference room.

On the way home, I read some of On Politics, Vol.2.  Alan Ryan argued that Hobbes is the first writer to be a political scientist separating him from the writers before.   I find the authoritarianism in Hobbes to be a bit uncomfortable.

Web Bits

Academic Librarians Get Graphic
http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2012/11/marketing/academic-librarians-get-graphic/

No comments: