Friday, December 6, 2013

Daily Thoughts 12/06/2013

Simon Luttichuys (1660-1661), Vanitas still life with skull, books, prints and paintings by Rembrandt and Jan Lievens, with a reflection of the painter at work.

Daily Thoughts 12/06/2013

This morning, I read some more of Thieves of Book Row New York's Most Notorious Rare Book Ring and the Man Who Stopped It by Travis McDade. I am learning about how book thievery became a profession and that people can iron out impressions in books, fill in holes in book performations, and bleach out markings from libraries. Also, there is quite a bit about the history of libraries in this book. I learned that the original Astor library did not have a catalog before it joined New York Public Library and you had to ask a librarian to find anything.

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library. I also checked the gifts and the displays. Maintenance is putting in new shelving so I have to move around some books today.

We had a management meeting this morning where we discussed a number of library issues including writing a strategic plan. I have to work on writing a plan for the collection development and electronic resources department for the future. I am starting by talking to the people who I am supervising now.

I also added a few books on Nelson Mandela to the current events display. The book, My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor came in for me to read.

I spent some more time weeding oversize books this afternoon. The computer lab was open from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. today.

I read some more of Thieves of Book Row. I am reading about Special Inspect Gaillard, the first detective who worked for the New York Public Library. The book describes the relationship between the thief, the bookseller, and the library. There is often a tenuous contested relationship between libraries and booksellers. The library gives away what the bookseller sells.

Web Bits

McGraw Hill, Overdrive Partner on Professional Ebooks for K-12 Schools, Libraries.

http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2013/12/k-12/mcgraw-hill-overdrive-partner-professional-ebooks-k-12-schools-libraries/

Holding Steve Ditkos Original Art To Amazing Fantasy 15 In My Hands The Library of Congress Epic Comics Collection

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/21/holding-steve-ditkos-original-art-to-amazing-fantasy-15-in-my-hands-the-library-of-congress-epic-comics-collection/

The Evolution of the College Library

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2013/12/the-evolution-of-the-college-library/282023/

No comments: