Friday, December 13, 2013

Daily Thoughts 12/13/2013

Daily Thoughts 12/13/2013

This morning I read some of Junkyard Planet: Travels in the Billion Dollar Trash Trade by Adam Minter on the way to work. It starts with a story of how Christmas tree lights are recycled in China for their copper and plastic.

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.

I also checked the displays and made a few adjustments to the new shelving.

I spent some more time working on the Strategic Plan for my department. I am working on a narrative to add to the list of suggestions for improvement.

The Computer Lab was open from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. today.

I also did a presentation on the different digital services available at our library through the Westchester Library System. We have a 3M projector and a white board in the computer lab which makes services like Tumblebooks very vivid.

On the way home, I read some more of Junkyard Planet by Adam Minter. I read about Adam Minter's family junkyard, and a bit about the history of junkyards in America. There are lots of little facts that caught my attention. For example, cars are nearly 100% recyclable and the old name for recycling was grubbing.

Web Bits

Public Approval of Libraries as they Are is Still Enviable

http://nonprofitquarterly.org/policysocial-context/23380-public-approval-of-libraries-as-they-are-is-still-enviable.html

No comments: