Sunday, December 15, 2013

Daily Thoughts 12/15/2013

Yva, Untitled (Lady reading newspaper). Ca. 1932. Vintage. Gelatin silver print (23,8 x 17,1 cm)

Daily Thoughts 12/15/2013

I read some more of Junkyard Planet at the laundromat. I am reading about how China exports finished goods and imports scrap, mainly newsprint in cargo containers.

It reminds me a little bit of an additional step that is happening, the automation of industries. These are my thoughts and are not part of the book. I can see as labor prices go up, less scrap will be exported to China and people will seek new ways to extract raw materials in a cheaper way through automation. This has already started to happen as people look for cheaper ways to supply raw materials for 3D printing. It is starting on the small scale with recycled plastics. Its About to Get Easier to 3D Print With Recycled Plastic http://gigaom.com/2013/10/08/its-about-to-get-easier-to-3d-print-with-recycled-plastic/

I spent some time checking the Facebook and Twitter for the library.

I also put a few holds on books about book clubs.

Web Bits

NYPL Children's Books 2013

http://www.nypl.org/blog/2013/12/05/childrens-books-2013

No comments: