Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Daily Thoughts 12/10/2013

Daily Thoughts 12/10/2013

On the way to work, I read some more of Sonia Sotomayor, My Beloved World. Sonia Sotomayor went to Princeton for college. She got a full scholarship at least in part because of affirmative action. Part of this book is about race. Sonia Sotomayor is Puerto Rican. She is quite open about her views in this book. It is rather interesting.

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library. I also checked the displays and the gift books. There were two interesting reviews on The Circle by Dave Eggers, one in the Time Literary Supplement November 29, 2013 issue and one in the New York Review of Books November 21, 2013 issue.

I am spending a little more time working on the strategic plan for my department today.

Tomorrow, there is a meeting of the programming committee and on thursday, there is a general staff meeting.

I had an extended subway ride home. It snowed during the day and the conductors were announcing "signal problems" which extended our time in various stations. This gave me enough time to finish reading My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor. I rather like how her life story progresses from district attorney to boutique law firm to judge. The story ends when she becomes a judge which seems to be what she wanted to be from the beginning. I thought the book was very thoughtful and pointed at the same time. I am going to look over the book again for a nonfiction book club that meets in January and request a system hold so we can get several copies of the book for the book club.

Web Bits

Librarians In the Digital Age: Infographic http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/librarians-in-the-digital-age-infographic_b80718

No comments: