Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Daily Thoughts 07/02/2014

While Reading The Newspaper News, Hans Andersen Brendekilde, 1912
Daily Thoughts 07/02/2014

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.  I went in today to work on the launch for the Adult Summer Reading Program.  We had Jason Hochman playing today as part of the kickoff, he was excellent.  He is a classical guitarist.  We also signed up a number of people for the adult summer reading program and I handed up a number of brochures on the program.  The signup is on the library website.  https://ny.evanced.info/mountvernon/sr/homepage.asp?ProgramID=2
We gave away pens to people who completed their first book.

I checked the displays and the gift books.  I also spent some time working with the oversize books.  I also spent some time discussing scheduling for programs with a colleague.

 The library had a Microsoft Excel class in the computer lab this evening from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

The book, The Zero Marginal Cost Society, The Internet of Things, The Collaborative Commons, and The Eclipse of Capitalism by Jeremy Rifkin came in for me to read.   Jeremy Rifkin is describing how collaboration and super thin margins are creating economies of sharing.  For example, digital information is becoming cheaper and cheaper to produce this allows the collaborative creation of sites like Wikipedia, very inexpensive e-books, and open source software. It should be interesting to read about other examples he gives like 3D printing, solar power, and sharing networks.  Hopefully, there should be some really odd material on post scarcity economics.

I am thinking about asking to attend the Articulating Your Value Webinar through My Metro.
http://metro.org/events/520/ 

I started doing a few of the Lynda.com online training videos again.

Web Bits



Vintage Photos of People in Libraries
http://mentalfloss.com/article/57504/30-vintage-photos-people-libraries

No comments: