Thursday, September 4, 2014

Daily Thoughts 09/04/2014

Still Life French Novels, Vincent Van Gogh, 1888

Daily Thoughts 09/04/2014

I finished reading Counterfeit Lies by Oliver North on the train to work.  It was an interesting and bloody story.  The villains were the political enemies of the United States, North Korea and homegrown terrorists tied to the middle east.  There was a well put together surprise ending to the story.  Not all of the good guys survived which made the story more believable.   Also the contemporary crimes of counterfeit goods, kidnapping, murder for hire, and crystal meth made the story gripping. This book will appeal to patriotic Americans on the right of the spectrum.  It may hit a nerve to those who are more liberal.  Some people might find it has some questionable descriptions of people.

I checked the libraries Twitter and Facebook pages.  I also checked the displays.  I added a few posters about censorship.  I have a banned books display to work on tomorrow.  I also checked the gift books.

I am going to being showing the Maltese Falcon in the Grace Greene Baker Community Room on September 9, 2014 between 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m..  It is one of my favorite films.  I rather like film noire.

I spent some time working on the monthly report.  I also am working on a departmental report.  I have to go in front of the board of trustees on Wednesday, September 17 at 6:30 p.m. to talk about my department.

I have a copy of Mein Stunden Buch 165 Holzschnitte Von Frans Masereel which is a woodcut novel.  I got it on my vacation.  I am rather interested in woodcut novels.  They are precursors in some ways to modern comics.

I placed the book Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley on hold.  He is the author of the Scott Pilgrim graphic novels.

I also checked out the book, Supersurvivors The Surprising Link Between Suffering and Success by David B. Feldman, PhD, and Lee Daniel Kravetz as well as Congratulations by the Way by George Saunders which is a little book with sayings about kindess.

Web Bits

For Social Good Libraries and the Sharing Economy
http://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/for-social-good-libraries-and-the-sharing-economy.html


No comments: