Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Daily Thoughts 12/6/2017

[Imperial Library of the Louvre]

Édouard Baldus (French, born Prussia, 1813–1889)

Daily Thoughts 12/6/2017

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I finished reading Artemis by Andy Weir on the train to work.  I very much enjoyed the book.  It had and unexpected ending.  I thought the mix of technology and action made the book well worth reading.  The technology being described reminds me of the idea of post modern technology or emerging technologies that will be realized in the near future but are currently in the laboratory or in the patent stage.  It is a way to predict what may happen in the future if you create scenarios where emerging technology is played out in an imaginary context.

I checked the displays and the gift books this morning.

I also wrote my monthly report.

I helped the director with some images for a report.

I read a copy of Booklist.

I spent some time checking the 800s.  We will be finished with this soon and we will be moving on to the oversize material.  We also plan on doing some shifting and shelf reading. 

I started reading the book Bunk, The Rise of Hoaxes, Humbugs, Plagiarists, Phonies, Post-Facts, and Fake News by Kevin Yount.  This book is about cons.  One of the cons the author writes about is how we construct race.  He uses the example of how P.T. Barnum created a sideshow with Joice Heth who was supposed to be the 161 year old slave of George Washington, the president.  The book is new.  It is published by Graywolf Press which has printed many quality literary works.

No comments: