Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Daily Thoughts 7/1/2009

Robert Louis Stevenson’s new s... Digital ID: 1543312. New York Public Library



Daily Thoughts July 1, 2009



Today has been another quiet day. I spent some time ordering a few fiction titles. I still have to check through a couple of different sites for African American, inspirational, mystery and suspense titles. While I was looking at Locus Magazine online, I noticed that The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon was on the bestseller list. I put it on hold. I am going to look at http://www.indiebound.org for fiction titles tomorrow.



I also spent some more time weeding the music section. I have to be very careful. It is one of those subjects like history, biography, and art where books can remain quite relevant for a very long time. I spent some time looking at a book on the discography of Sun records.



I am looking at weeding the mysteries and suspense also. Mysteries and suspense are our most popular fiction titles. Ruth Rendell, Hugh Holton, Stuart Woods, John Sanford, and James Patterson are extremely popular. My current favorite mystery author is Joe Lansdale. I also like Sparkle Hayter, Andrew Vachss, Max Allan Collins, and Sharyn McCrumb. Zombies of the Gene Pool by Sharyn McCrumb is one of my favorite mysteries; it lampoons science fiction conventions. Max Allan Collins also writes comics in addition to novels as well as television shows.



On the train home, I read some more of Building A Special Collection of Children's Literature in Your Library.

No comments: