Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Daily Thoughts 7/22/2009 ( Wildfire )

Le silence intérieur, af Carlos Schwabe (1866-1926).



Daily Thoughts 7/22/2009

I have been reading more of Wildfire by Sarah Micklem. It is very raw and visceral. The story is excellent. It is a story of hardship and adventure. The main character, Firethorn, is a concubine of a knight, she is also a healer and touched by her gods. I really like the opening passage where she is struck by lightning and becomes a bit addled for several chapters.

I am looking at Yoshiro Tatsumi's A Drifting Life published by Drawn and Quarterly. It is the story of a manga artist who lives a wandering life. The book is a slice of life manga. It was recommended to me at this years Book Expo America. I really liked the Drawn and Quarterly publishers booth. There was a lot of very avant garde material.

Today has been an interesting day. I have been weeding the large print collection. I also changed the pattern for ordering large print. The bookmobile is going to be taking recommendations and I am going to be ordering from the holds purchase alerts.

I also spent some time looking at the Indienext bestseller list of the American Booksellers Association and the staff picks for Powell's bookstore as well as some staff picks from the Strand Bookstore. I often think it is good to look outside the standard library magazine sources of Library Journal, Booklist, and Kirkus Reviews.

I am using a laptop with a wireless connection and a hand scanner to check the circulation on the books. It makes the process much easier and much faster. It is something new for me. I am using just getting used to using a touchpad instead of a mouse. Sometimes I feel, I am bundle of contradictions, both very up to date and very behind.

No comments: