Saturday, May 22, 2010

Daily Thoughts 5/22/2010


Portrait of Edmund Maitre, Frédéric Bazille, 1869



Daily Thoughts 5/22/2010



I have started reading Steamed by Kate MacAlister. It is a steampunk romance. The writing is very lighthearted. There seems to be a touch of romance in many of the steampunk novels lately. Many of the newer steampunk novels seem to draw from both historical romance and science fiction.

Lena Horne died recently. We updated the jazz display to include a few books on her and movies she starred in. Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay came in for me to read. I also put Much Fall of Blood by Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint, and Dave Freer on request. Baen Books does a good job of creating novels with more than one author.

I spent some time getting myself ready for the Book Expo America conference next week. I have all my registration and confirmation for events together, plus a list of all the events I am attending.

On the way home, I stopped reading Steamed. I found it became a little too silly for my tastes. I put it down and tried out Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay. The story is much more to my taste. Guy Gavriel Kay in 2008 won the World Fantasy Award for his novel Ysabel.

No comments: