Saturday, May 15, 2010

Soulless An Alexia Tarabotti Novel by Gail Carriger




Soulless An Alexia Tarabotti Novel by Gail Carriger



The main character of this novel is a proper english lady and a spinster. She carries a silver tipped parasol, likes, tea, and reads a lot about science and the supernatural. Alexia Tarabotti has an original personality which is quite charming to read in this novel. Her proper manners and headstrong character create a nice juxtaposition to the humor in the novel.


The book is quite lighthearted. It jumps around many genres and constantly spins out new takes on old ideas. Where can you read about a comedy of manners in courting a Scottish werewolf lord in London? How about talk to fashionable vampire fop, or be chased by a bloodthirsty golem.


I could call this book a victorian steampunk, supernatural, romance, comedic thriller. A surprising mix and mash which comes up with exuberant new ideas in each chapter. There are also elements of alternate history, Queen Victoria even makes a brief appearance.


Soulless is the first book in a series. I put the second one, Changeless on reserve at my library and am waiting for the third book to come out. Her writing is fun to read. I also like Gail Carriger's website http://www.gailcarriger.com/ It has a nice mix of Victorian fashion, funny pictures, and lists of steampunk novels and films.

2 comments:

Sangu Mandanna said...

I love this book and Gail's writing makes me laugh, so I'm so glad you reviewed this and liked it!

Dorlana said...

I had to come check out your review for this book - at first I thought you were talking about Soulless by Golden - and I was like - no i don't think it's like Steamed - lol.
I love the cover of this book and have put it on my TBR list - I think i'll read it next as a matter of fact. :)