Thursday, October 7, 2010

Daily Thoughts 10/7/2010 (New York Comic Con, Where Good Ideas Come From)

The Wally Pug of why. Digital ID: 1543468. New York Public Library

The Wally Pug of Why, 1896

Daily Thoughts 10/7/2010

I finished reading The Shadow Market last night.  It seems to be focused on the decline of the United States and Europe as capitalist powers and a shift eastward towards China and the Middle East.  I found it to be interesting, but not completely convincing.



I started reading Where Good Ideas Come From The Natural History of Innovation by Steven Johnson.  A couple of ideas that he immediately put out were that cities generate more innovation and the internet also generates a lot of new ideas.



I am putting together a display on climate and environmental change.  I am picking out books on hurricanes, extreme weather, global warming, and climate change.  It is an interesting topic. 


Gail Carriger's book Blameless came in for me to read.  It is a steampunk, vampire, werewolf romance.  In other words an entertaining mashup.

I am going to talk to a gentleman about having one on one SCORE counseling for small business on Tuesday.  Hopefully, it will work out well.  I also have a few other things which I still have to confirm.  I have to figure out my events for next month.

There are a lot of small details to work on; shelf reading, weeding, looking at our website to see if anything needs to change.

Tomorrow from 10:00-1:00 p.m., I have a free professional pass to New York Comic Con.  I have a couple different places I want to visit.  I got an invitation from For Beginner Books to stop by as well as from Abrams Art Books, and I definitely will look at NBM which I always stop by to look at.   I am also going to stop by Booth #434 which is the American Library Association booth for the big picture at 11:30 a.m.  I think I'll see several people that I may know.

I read some more of Where Good Ideas Come From and learned a little bit.  Part of the process of having a good idea is to build on a slow hunch.  Charles Darwin's journals are excellent examples of the slow build up of an idea.  Also the world wide web took quite a while to develop as an idea.  Tim Berners Lee did not describe any epiphany moment in creating the idea of the web.  One of the better ways to develop ideas is to keep a journal over a long period of time.  I think that this blog has helped me slowly develop quite a few ideas.

No comments: