Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Daily Thoughts 12/12/2012

Bertha Worms, Lady With A Magazine, 1909

Daily Thoughts 12/12/2012

I read some more of The Signal and the Noise.  Nate Silver is describing why most political pundits fail.  He also describes how focusing on a single issue or ideal is less effective in predicting political outcomes than drawing from multiple ideas and sources.  I also read a little bit more of Management Basics for Information Professionals on the train.  I am reading about how people form effective teams and work together in groups.

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.  I also read some different library news sources.  I am finding that it is a slow right now on the infotainment side (information combined with entertainment), the modern version of the news.  I also checked the displays, the new books, and the gifts.

As part of my orders of new books, I ordered a variety of professional books.  I am looking at three of them right now, Building and Managing E-Book Collections edited by Richard Kaplan, Crisis in Employment, A Librarian's Guide to Helping Job Seekers by Jane Jerrard, and Publishing E-books for Dummies by Ali Luke.

The 2013 Collaborative Summer Library Program Adult Manual came in today.  I do the adult summer reading program.  The theme for 2013 is Groundbreaking Reads.

I also spent some time looking over orders today.

I am planning on going to Book2Camp on February 10, 2013 as a volunteer. http://www.book2camp.org

The computer lab is open today from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. I often help people with basic job search like printing applications, attaching resumes to emails, and filling out job forms.  I read little bit of Crisis In Employment, it is a short report of 66 pages.  There is an accurate description of how many people are now required to fill out job applications online who never used computers before.  Many of these positions like supermarket checker or warehouse worker can take over an hour to fill out even for part-time positions.

I spent some time putting together a fiction order in the evening.  Also, the book, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan came in for me to read. 

Web Bits

The Wrong War Over Ebooks Publishers Versus Libraries
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidvinjamuri/2012/12/11/the-wrong-war-over-ebooks-publishers-vs-libraries/

No comments: