Monday, December 3, 2012

Daily Thoughts 12/3/2012

Ein Besuch, Carl Spitzweg, Circa 1850

Daily Thoughts 12/3/2012

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook account for the library.  I also checked the new books.  We spent some time switching some of the new books to the regular library collection.  It is nice seeing new material going into the shelves.  It helps refresh the collection.

There are a lot of very nice new books.

I also checked the displays today.  I read the latest New York Times Book review which is the December 2, 2012 holiday issue.  A holiday book that looked interesting was Vogue: The Editors Eye, Edited by Eve McSweeney. 

I also spent some time working with the clerks on weeding the 900s.  The clerks have been inventorying the main floor collection.

There is going to be a Special Meeting of the Board of Trustees on December 6, 2012 at 6:30 p.m. for the Mount Vernon Public Library.

On the way home, I finished reading Help the Helper Building A Culture of Extreme Teamwork by Kevin Pritchard and John Eliot, Ph.D.  The book focuses on concepts around teamwork.  There is some discussion of scouting and how athletic scouts pick people.  Character is very important in picking players for a team.  The authors describe the limits of metrics.  Metrics don't determine how well a player works with their teammates.  I found the sports based approach to management interesting.  I especially liked the sections on swim teams.  I was on the swim team during middle school.  I also watched a lot of baseball with my grandfather.

Web Bits

Help the Gates Foundation Decide How to Spend Money on Libraries
http://www.teleread.com/ebooks/help-the-gates-foundation-decide-how-to-spend-money-on-libraries-time-to-free-the-great-gatsby-and-other-classics-and-support-national-digital-library-systems/

No comments: