Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Daily Thoughts 05/05/2015





WPA Between 1936 and 1941  Poster promoting President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's four freedoms, showing a globe, two books, and the hand and torch from the Statue of Liberty.

Daily Thoughts 05/05/2015

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.

I read some more of Americanah.  It was interesting reading.  I finished the novel on the train.  It is well worth reading.

The digital photography class went well this morning.  The class was full and the teacher, Ken Lax did an excellent job.  We are going to do it again on June 23, 2015 at 11:00 a.m.

I read through several copies of Publishers Weekly, The Times Literary Supplement, and Library Journal.  I look for reviews of high quality material.

The Give Local Westchester Putnam County on Facebook and Twitter has started.
https://www.givelocalwp.org/#npo/mount-vernon-public-library
Please give.

I spoke to a gentleman from St. Paul's Church which is a historic site about doing a lecture on St. Paul's Historic Church.  He will be coming on July 14, 2015 from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. for a short slide based lecture.

I placed the book Beyond: Our Future in Space by Chris Impey on hold.

I compiled my monthly statistics into a single document for programming.  Hopefully, it will be of use.

I started reading Sapiens A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari.  This is a book which focuses on ideas.  One of the ideas which is kind of interesting is that Homo Sapiens wiped out the Nenderthals.  There is another book which I saw recently called The Invaders: How Humans and Their Dogs Drove the Neanderthal to Extinction by Pat Shipman

Web Bits


Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie on the World of African Literature


The book club is discussing Americanah A Novel by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie on May 21 from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Trustee Room.

No comments: