Thursday, May 7, 2015

Daily Thoughts 05/07/2015

File:Gustave Caillebotte - The Orange Trees - Google Art Project.jpg
Gustave Caillebotte, The Orange Trees, 1878

Daily Thoughts 05/07/2015

I checked the library Twitter and Facbook this morning.  I spent some time looking over the survey this morning.


On the way to work, I read some more of Sapiens. I am reading about the topic of inter-subjectivity where people share common ideas like money, legal systems, political beliefs in similar ways to create a common sense of purpose.  The author, Yuval Noah Hariri is describing how people create shared psychologies and belief systems.


The book, Biblio TECH Why Libraries Matter More Than Ever in the Age of Google by John Palfrey has come in for me to read.


I checked the gift books and the displays this morning.  Tomorrow is the Book and Bake Sale for the Friends of the Mount Vernon Public Library.  I always like these things.  They are pushing carts of books into the community room right now.


I read a copy of the latest Ingram Advance.

I started working on the computer books today and added a few new contacts to our email list.

I am starting to prepare for Book Expo America.  I am signed up for Day of Dialog between Librarians and Publishers on May 27  http://lj.libraryjournal.com/dayofdialog/schedule/#_
Following the day, I am going to the Ninth Annual AAP/Library Reads Annual Adult Librarians Dinner at 6:30 p.m.   I wish I could go to the Book Expo Challenge for Publishing Startups, but it is the same day as Day of Dialog.  The pitch for Early Stage Startups in the Publishing World is at 1:00 p.m.  http://www.bookexpochallenge.com/

On Thursday, May 28, 2015 there is the AAP/Library Reads Adult Librarians Lunch fom 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., this is followed by AAP Annual Librarians Book Buzz Part 1 in Room 1 E14 from 1:45 p.m. to 3:15 p.m..  At 3:30 p.m., there is the 1st Annual Invitation Only Librarian Networking Reception focusing on Community Reads in the BEA VIP Lounge in the Galleria.

This is a time for me to schmooze a bit and talk books.  I am looking forward to planning the convention out and being very prepared.



Web Bits


A Long Way from Wax Cylinders, Library of Congress Slowly Joins the Digital Age

Weird "Al" Yankovic Releases Video for Local Library

No comments: