Friday, November 13, 2015

Daily Thoughts 11/13/2015


Portrait of the Publisher Bruno Cassirer, Max Lieberman, 1921

Daily Thoughts 11/13/2015

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I also checked a few things in my email like Better World Books and some planned programming.

I am going to the Melville House librarian event today at 2:00 p.m..  They always have interesting books to preview.  http://www.mhpbooks.com/

I went a little bit early to the Melville House Spring Library Preview for Spring 2016.  The press is in the same building as the Brooklyn Roasting Company which is a coffee house with excellent coffee.  Before the event started I sat down for a little while and read some of Superforecasting.  I am reading about how keeping continuously abreast of news on a particular subject makes you more likely to make accurate predictions about it.  There was some mention of Google Alerts.  I keep a Google Alert for Mount Vernon Public Library.  I also read a bit of the Islands of the Blessed.  I like the description of a storm which levels parts of a village.

Before the presentation started, I had a chance to look around the store which Melville House Publishing runs.  It contains all the books which they are publishing including the Neversink Library and the Art of the Novella series.  There were a few things that caught my interest; a cleaned up version of the US Supreme Court Decision on Marriage Equality, Pope Francis Ecyclical on Climate Change and Inequality, We, Robots Staying Human in the Age of Big Data by Curtis White, and My Autobiography by Charlie Chaplin.

The event was in a conference room on the first floor surrounded by offices on the second floor and the first floor.  Many of the marketing staff were at the event.

I had a chance to pick up all of the galleys they were presenting before the program.  I plan on reading a few of them including Good on Paper by Rachel Cantor who was one of the presenters at the event, The Biographical Dictionary of Literary Failure, and The Deep Sea Divers Syndrome by Serge Brussolo which is science fiction.

It was a very interesting presentation.   We received a list of forthcoming titles.  There were a few authors there as well who talked about their books.  There was even a video of Martin Seay talking about his new book, The Mirror Thief. I can recommend it to any librarian who might be interested.  Michael Bible talked about his book, Sophia.


Web Bits


$2 Million in Facebook Ads Going to Nonprofits
I applied for a little Facebook ad money for the library.

Outsourcing the Harvard Library

5 Reasons Independent NYC Bookstores are Doing Better Than You Think


No comments: