Friday, September 30, 2016

Daily Thoughts 09/30/2016

Lydia Reading on a Divan, Mary Cassatt, 1880-1881
Daily Thoughts 09/30/2016

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.


I finished reading 40+ New Revenue Sources for Libraries and Nonprofits by Edmund A. Rossman III.   I found the book to have some interesting ideals like doing art shows, sponsorships, crowdfunding, and naming rights.  At points I found it to be very commercial.  The idea of advertising in a library was a bit much for me.  The author introduces the concepts of how public broadcasting raises funds.  It will be a useful tool for understanding some ways to raise money which many libraries do not do.

I checked the gift books and the displays this morning.

I looked through the October Forecast from Baker and Taylor and a copy of Publishers Weekly.

There is a new librarian who is working with me.  She is ordering some material from Overdrive Advantage and 3M Cloud Library right now.

I am starting to weed the Holiday books today.

We are getting a color printer for the computer lab.

I spent some time discussing a budget for a computer grant.  I have to put together a budget for a grant for computers in my Grants and Fundraising class.

I started reading Jerusalem by Alan Moore.  It is as if Alan Moore took all the sparse wording he iused for his graphic novels and then poured the unused words into a giant book.  It is one of the most densely worded books I have ever read.  There is a tremendous amount of descriptive language.  The style is different than most writing I have read.  It is very direct in its approach.

Web Bits



The Value of Reading An Infographic

Texas Bans 15,000 Books From State Prison Including Dantes Inferno and The Color Purple

Zombies, Makerbots, New Chief Reveals Vision for Peekskill Field Library
http://peekskill.dailyvoice.com/news/zombies-makerbots-new-chief-reveals-vision-for-peekskills-field-library/683574/

No comments: