Friday, August 9, 2019

Daily Thoughts 08/09/2019

File:Statue of a scribe with a baboon MET DP234752.jpg
Statue of a Scribe With a Baboon, New Kingdom, Ramesside, Circa 1295-1070 B.C.

Daily Thoughts 08/09/2019

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook today.

I finished reading Life After Google The Fall of Big Data and the Rise of the Block Chain Economy.  I did not find the book to be very convincing.  Block chain which the author George Gilder is describing is mainly used as a financial instrument, not a data gathering tool. Google is in some ways primarily an information gathering company.  The comparison seemed to not match.

There were some interesting about bitcoin and other electronic currencies, but not enough to convince me that electronic currency will take over as the primary banking tool.  It did demonstrate how electronic currency would create new tools for monetary transactions as well as new markets.  I also learned quite a bit about the latest computer and software technology from reading the book. It was worth reading.

I watched some more of The Librarians Guide To Homelessness (Core Guide).

Web Bits

Toni Morrison's Life In Publishing

13 Great Quotes About the Joy of Reading

Reading As Protest: How I Manage the Guilt of Reading In Tumultuous Times

Finding The Truth In Today's Politics




No comments: