Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Daily Thoughts 05/11/2016

The Miriam and Ira D. Wallach Division of Art, Prints and Photographs: Art & Architecture Collection, The New York Public Library. (1893 - 1924).The Red Letter Retrieved from http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47df-f74f-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99

Daily Thoughts 05/11/2016

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

Last night I started reading The Knowledge.  It is about what you would need to do to restart civilization if there was a collapse.  It is not a violent, survivalist book.  It is a meticulous science based approach to what would be necessary to do if a plague, asteroid, or other disaster nearly wiped out humanity.  It covers subjects like clothing, food, and shelter.  I am enjoying the book.

I checked the gift books and the displays.

I finished reading The Knowledge How to Rebuild Our World From Scratch by Lewis Dartnell.  I liked the book, there were very interesting technological ideas.  Part of this book is the realization that we might have to use more renewable energy because the infrastructure for oil will have been destroyed.

I read a copy of the New York Review of Books and the New York Times Book Review.  I also am reading a copy of the Ingram Advance for June.

I placed a hold on the book, The Census Taker by China Mieville.

On the way home, I read a little bit more of What Happened, Miss Simone? Nina Simone had a house and an office in Mount Vernon, New York where the library I work is.

I also read some more of The Invaders.  It is meant for an academic audience, but the writing is clear enough for a lay reader.  The book mixes archaeology, anthropology, and ecology in its content.

Web Bits


BEA 2016: How the Creator of the World Wide Web Sees the Future of Publishing

Chronicle Books Partners with San Francisco Public Library to Promote Literacy

Weeding Without Worry -- Rebecca Vnuk

Are fines cutting off library access to low income patrons?

No comments: