Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Daily Thoughts 05/31/2016

Birmingham Reference Library, the Reading Room - Taylor Edward R.

Birmingham Reference Library, The Reading Room,  1881, Edward R. Taylor

Daily Thoughts 05/31/2016

I took a couple days to relax away from library things.

On the way to work, I read some of Grunt  The Curious Science of Humans at War by Mary Roach.  This book is a purposeful grossout.  The author describes human injuries like losing ones private parts and having them replaced, diarrhea as a major killer of soldiers, sweating and heat stroke in the military and many other subjects.  It is aimed at peakings ones curiosity.  There is also a section on shark repellent as well as malodorants in combat.  The grossness is gripping.

I checked the displays and the gift books.

I also checked the Facebook and Twitter for the library.

I spent some time working on weeding.  I also did a little work preparing for next weeks order for books.  I read the latest copy of the Times Literary Supplement.

I spent a little time working on Bookletters.

I also talked to some of my reports about helping people and paying attention.

There is a Beginning Microsoft Word class tonight and a Fundamentals of Computers class as well in the computer lab.

I finished reading Grunt on the way home.  One of the final sections was on sleep deprivation and being on a combat submarine.  Mary Roach describes how people lose competence and focus with increasing sleep deprivation.  The book had a bibliography, but no index.

Web Bits


Boys who live with books ‘earn more as adults’

Survey Institutional Library Spending Up Slightly in North America;  Europe Declines

The British Library Puts Treasure Trove of 20th Century Literature Online for Your Browsing Pleasure



No comments: