Friday, April 7, 2017

Daily Thoughts 04/07/2017


Court Woman At Her Desk With Poem Cards, Kubo Shunman, 1795

Daily Thoughts 04/07/2017

Today I went to the Urban Librarians Unite conference at the Brooklyn Public Library at Grand Army Plaza.  I even got to talk to my old boss, Mark Levine in the History Biography and Religion section.

The conference was interesting.  They had good coffee and strudel in the morning.  I have to sit down and write up the full conference tomorrow.  It will take me some time as some of it has to do with advocacy.

There were a few vendors.  I got a button with a picture of from Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak.  Brooklyn Public Library now has library cards with Maurice Sendak's art.
http://www.bklynlibrary.org/media/press/brooklyn-public-library-d-0

I had a chance to walk around outside at lunch.  The neighborhood has gentrified tremendously and the prices have gone up.

I recognized some of the people at the conference.  One of my colleagues was there.  I have not had as much time to go out to events lately.

On the way home, I read some more of New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson.  The cover art is attractive enough that people ask me what the title is when I am sitting reading it on the train.  I like how weather and the ocean are portrayed in this book.

A book that caught my interest during the conference was Tactical Urbanism for Librarians: Quick, Low- Cost Ways to Make Big Changes by Karen Munro which is coming out in July of 2017.


 Web Bits

Library Advocates Make the Local Editorial Pages

Appropriations Webinar Announced for National Library Week

Holocaust Library Opens on Sacramento Synagogue Campus




No comments: