Thursday, June 15, 2017

Daily Thoughts 06/15/2017

Still Life - Henri Fantin-Latour
Still Life, Henry Fantin-Latour, 1866

Daily Thoughts 06/15/2017

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

On the way to work, I read some more of A Paradise Built In Hell.  I am reading about the 1906 Earthquake in San Francisco.  It gives a different account about how people lived after the earthquake.  Rebecca Solnit describes how soldiers and elites were often more interested in protecting their property then helping everyday people.

I checked the displays and the gift books.  I also looked over some of the books that are not in the system.

I checked out the book, This Is What A Librarian Looks Like by Kyle Cassidy.

I spent some time checking the biographies.

We talked to Literacy Solutions at Yonkers Public Library today.

I am working with a new librarian going over weeding.  We are also discussing the Spanish language films in our collection.

I read some of This Is What A Librarian Looks Like on the way home. It has lots of color photographs of librarians.  The book opens with a short essay on the Library of Alexandria, there is also an essay on The Library Company of Philadelphia.  The book is a tribute to librarianship.  There are several authors who write about why they love libraries including Jeff Vandermeer, Neil Gaiman, Cory Doctorow, and Amy Dickinson.  I am about to start reading the essay by John Scalzi.  The design is superb

Web Bits




The Hidden Treasures In Italian Libraries

10 Things You Don’t Know About Authors On a Book Tour


                                        

No comments: