Sunday, August 13, 2017

Daily Thoughts 08/13/2017

Self-Educating Caretaker - Vasily Perov
Self-Educating Caretaker, Vasily Perov, 1868

Daily Thoughts 08/13/2017

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I finished reading The Librarians Guide to Book Programs and Author Events by Brad Hooper.  It is a solid overview of different types of book programs.  I learned how to better prepare for an author panel, put together the right questions for a book club, and be better prepared to interview authors.  This is a useful book if you run book programs for libraries.  I learned quite a bit.

I spent some time looking at the One Book, One Community Guide
http://www.ala.org/tools/sites/ala.org.tools/files/content/onebook/files/onebookguide.pdf

I did another practice exercise from Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.  A colleague had provided me with some charcoal for drawing.  I practiced drawing my hand and drawing my hand holding a pencil.  The next Lunchtime Art Drawing Session is on August 17 from 12:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m..  We will be using Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain as our textbook.

I started reading The Patron Driven Library A Practical Guide For Managing Collections and Services In the Digital Age by Dee Ann Allison.  This is about how technology changes the focus from the collection to the user of the collection.  As more services and information are outside the library walls or on the internet or in databases, the focus becomes more on the person who is using the library.


Web Bits


The Mexican American Book Connection

Opposition to Escondido Library Outsourcing Grows


No comments: