Saturday, August 19, 2017

Daily Thoughts 08/19/2017



Caricature "Résurrection de la Censure" (resurrection of censorship) by the french artist J. J. Grandville, lithography. 1832
 
Daily Thoughts 08/19/2017

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I checked the gift books and the displays.

I spent some time setting up for the Acrylic Painting Class this morning which was well attended.

I also did some shifting in the 900s and checked some of the travel books.

I worked on two orders for books.  I started on a third focused on Spanish Language which a colleague, Mayra Cabrera provided.

On the way home, I read some more of The New Librarianship Field Guide by R. David Lankes.  There is a focus on community in the sense of the people who use or live around a library.  This is a move away from collections.  There is still a service orientation but it extends outside of the building.

The book is conceptually interesting and has some useful philosophical pieces.  However, there are some oddities like the purpose of a library is to improve the community.  I found this a little nebulous.  Also, some of the ideas have a touch of jargon to them.  I thought that calling community outreach community reference was a bit of a stretch.

If you want to read something which comes up with new ideas about libraries, this book is interesting and thoughtful.  However, in some ways, I found it very impractical.  I also thought some of the arguments about collections no longer being central creates a tension between old and new thinking about libraries which is not always productive.

I registered our library for the Rebel Reader Twitter Tournament.


Web Bits


Charlottesville Violence Poses New Challenges for Libraries

                                        

No comments: