Sunday, August 27, 2017

Daily Thoughts 08/27/2017

The Reading of the Lottery Winners, Anne Claude Philippe de Tubières, comte de Caylus (French, Paris 1692–1765)

Daily Thoughts 08/27/2017

I checked the Twitter and Facebook of the library this morning.

Last night, I watched some of the National Geographic television series Mars.  I like the break between the shows where it explains the technology of going to Mars.  I found the show a bit overly dramatic.  In order to tell a story, there needs to be a continuous series of disasters to hold most peoples interest.  I am more interested in how they would succeed without constant disaster.  This makes me different than most television viewers.  Watching Elon Musk talk about Mars was fascinating.  I am planning on watching more of the series.

I read some more of Stellar Customer Service.  I am reading about how it is important with customer service to have policies in place to deal with difficult situations.

I also read some of the graphic novel My Favorite Thing Is Monsters by Emil Ferris.  The book is incredible.  The main character is a young werewolf with artistic talents.  The characters are fascinating.  Her brother is a tattooed artist who is incredibly sexually attractive and her mother is deeply superstitious with oddly compulsive supernatural abilities.  It is about art, monsters, and growing up.  There is a lot of darkly erotic content, so it is for adults.

September is National Library Card Month.

I checked the New York Times Bestseller list and the Publishers Weekly Bestseller list.

I also checked the purchase alerts.

As I read the story more closely for My Favorite Thing Is Monsters, I begin to see the monsters as metaphors for very dark behavior and alienation.  The young girl Karen Reyes is trying to solve the murder of her beautiful upstairs neighbor.  The story has phantasmagorical elements to it.  Karen Reyes sees ghosts and views some people as different characters from fiction.

Web Bits


Libraries Have Become A Broadband Lifeline to the Cloud for Students

You Can Be Forgotten By Google, But Not the British Library

Library Cards Open Doors to the World

Quart Into A Pint Pot:  The Accommodation Problems of the British Museum Library

No comments: