Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Daily Thoughts 01/03/2018

File:Man in a suit reading a book.jpg
Ad for Alfred Benjamin & Co (clothiers in New York), a man is shown in a suit, reading a book, as a cigarette smolders in his hand. A human skull sits on a shelf behind him.24 February, 1904

Daily Thoughts 01/03/2018

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I read some more of The Vanishing Middle Class.  I am reading about some of the changes that are occurring in the upper classes.  With finance it is possible to earn 10x as much money as manufacturing as a CEO.  There has been a steady move into hedge funds and other financial firms by the wealthy.  This changes how firms are run.  Also, there is a greatest focus on using contractors instead of regular employees to limit benefits and costs.  These changes have reduced opportunity for the middle class.

I checked the gift books and the displays.

I discussed marketing with a colleague this afternoon.

I also read the latest copy of The New York Times Book Review, and the Religious Catalog of Ingram Advance.

I have been taking care of some contacts for future programming.  I have confirmed our program for Audre Lorde in April of 2018.

I generated a few reports from Blue Cloud Analytics for the children's department.


Web Bits

The Culture War Being Fought Over Tomorrow's Libraries
https://www.fastcodesign.com/90151650/the-culture-war-being-fought-over-tomorrows-libraries

Art Buchwald's Archives Are Bound for the Library of Congress, He Would Have Been Thrilled.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/art-buchwalds-archives-are-bound-for-the-library-of-congress-he-would-have-been-thrilled/2018/01/02/995eef38-e502-11e7-833f-155031558ff4_story.html?utm_term=.a6d346b13a5f

A.I. And Big Data Could Power A New War On Poverty



No comments: