Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Daily Thoughts 01/16/2018

File:Jules Pascin Thinking.jpg
Jules Pascin, Thinking, (1885-1930)

Daily Thoughts 01/16/2018

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I read some more of No Time to Spare last night.  There are some reflections on the Iliad and the Odyssey by Homer and The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.

I checked the displays and the gift books.  February is Black History Month.  I put out some books on Black History.

I also placed an order for new books today.

I am looking at an article called Thirty Years Not A Slave The Story of William Voris of Rye by Howard Husock.  It is on Pp. 116-124 of The Westchester Historian, Volume 92 No. 4, Fall 2016.  I am inviting Mr. Husock to speak at the library.  I am also inviting the African American Cemetery in Rye to give a talk as well for local history in February.

I have been thinking about upcoming programming.  We are meeting on Friday to discuss the programs for the Lets Build Robots! Learn. Build. Share fundraiser.

I have a copy of The New York Times Book Review to read.

I am watching the film Loving Vincent.  It is in the background. The film has an effervescent quality to it.  The colors are brilliant.  It is an animated film which uses oil paints.  This is supposed to be the first time this has been done.  The quality of some of animation is dreamlike.  It is the story of Vincent Van Gogh.  His paintings are incorporated into the visuals. I'll sit down and watch it again tomorrow.

Web Bits

Tax Season is Here: How Libraries Can Help Communities Prepare
http://www.districtdispatch.org/2018/01/tax-season-libraries-help-prepare/

AI Beats Human In Stanford Reading Comprehension Test
https://www.cnet.com/news/new-results-show-ai-is-as-good-as-reading-comprehension-as-we-are/

Libraries Can Help Disrupt the School -to-Prison Pipeline


No comments: