Thursday, May 31, 2018

Daily Thoughts 05/31/2018

File:Reading alcove at the 1895 Miramont Castle Museum, a restored Victorian mansion, Manitou Springs, Colorado LCCN2011636227.tif
Reading alcove at the 1895 Miramont Castle Museum, a restored Victorian mansion, Manitou Springs, Colorado

Daily Thoughts 05/31/2018

This morning, I went to the Penguin Random House Author Breakfast at 7:00 a.m. in the Louis L'Amour room.  I enjoyed listening to the authors speak.  They also had a nice spread.  I had some yogurt with granola and some coffee.

I liked the book, Times Convert by Deborah Harkness which is fantasy and the book, and the book Golden Child by Claire Adam set in Trinidad.  They also had a cookbook as a centerpiece, The Love and Lemons Cookbook written by Jeanine Donofrio with photographs by Jack Mathews.

I went to the librarians lounge in the morning.  I took a brief break.  I then did a scavenger hunt looking at some of the exhibits.

I walked the show floor and looked at some of the things which people had on display.  I always the Merrymakers dolls.  My favorite is Pete the Cat.

The show floor was much smaller this year.  I focused on the booths.  Some of the books I picked up were The Art and Craft of PR by Sandra Stahl, 101 Questions You Need to Ask in Your Twenties (and let's be honest, your thirties too) by Paul Angone, Fight Like a Girl The Truth Behind How Female Marines are Trained by Kate Germano with Kelly Kennedy, A+ Ace Your Teacher Interview Revised and Expanded 2nd Edition by Anthony D. Fredericks, Ed. D., The 2019 Rand McNally Road Atlas America's #1 Road Atlas, and many other books.

A few of the books which I liked were When Women Ruled the World Six Queens of Egypt by Kara Cooney published by National Geographic.

A graphic novel which stood out was Showtime at the Apollo, the Epic Tale of Harlem's Legendary Theater by Ted Fox, Illustrated by James Otis Smith.

I got a bag from the Librarians Lounge.  They served lunch at noon there.  I also went to the VIP Librarians Networking Reception.

It was a full day.

Web Bits


Book Expo 2018:  Booksellers Share Their Hot Picks

Library of Congress Acquires Its Largest Donation of Comic Books Ever

Librarian of Congress Reads to Local Children


No comments: